What is a web application in simple words: development approaches
In this article, we tried to tell you in detail about web applications: what principles these tools work on, what types of web applications are, and how web applications are developed in accordance with a moden approach.
Web application as a business tool
Web applications are programs that can work fully even without installation on the device. A smartphone, tablet or computer gets online access to data, and the user does not need to install it in permanent memory - this is the main distinguishing feature of web applications.
These web programs should not be confused with websites. Web applications are interactive, users can perform various actions in them: order a product or service, book a ticket, leave a comment or review, edit content, and so on.
By creating a web application, you will be able to:
- automate business processes for both employees and staff;
- attract the attention of the target audience and stand out from the competition;
- to make a solution that will allow you to solve everyday tasks easier, more reliable and safer.
How web applications work
Web applications can work with different types of pages:
- Statistical - the server part creates a page in response to a request and sends it to the browser, regardless of the user's actions, so that different users will see the same material for the same request;
- Dynamic - the server part generates a page in response to a request, only the material first passes through the application server and is formed depending on which commands were sent.
Regardless of whether there is a web application for e-commerce, communication, content creation or other purposes, this kind of application works on a client-server basis. That is why the following components are distinguished in the structure:
- Client part (front end) - responsible for the actions performed by the user;
- Server part (back end) - responsible for the processes occurring on the server;
- Database - a structure for orderly storage of information and access to it.
Depending on what tasks the creators of the project set themselves, they use certain tools for developing web applications. The main task is to provide functional interaction between the client and server parts, access to the database, the correct ability to generate and send ready-made pages in response to a request.
Based on the tasks, developers can create a web application that can be accessed from any device, or a demanding development environment that only devices with a certain level of hardware capabilities can work with.
Types of web applications
Web applications can be conditionally divided and classified according to the following criteria.
According to the principle of user interface interaction
- Multi page application (MPA) - the request is sent to the server, and the page is completely updated as a result of the response, replaced with a new one;
- Single page application (SPA) - after sending a request to the server, part of the page that the application consists of is updated without a full reload;
- Progressive application (PWA) - retain their functionality even when they work offline due to disconnected access to the Intenet.
By intended use
Moden web applications can perform many different functions. For example, these can be corporate portals, CRM (customer relationship management), ERP (enterprise resource planning), CMS (content management system), electronic commercial systems, and so on.
Professional development of web applications by Redmonkey
Before starting a project, Redmonkey conducts a certain cycle of actions, in which the following stages can be distinguished:
- Collection of requirements and development of technical specifications. The customer voices both the main tasks and more global goals, and also supplements this with his own requirements so that it is possible to familiarize the developers with the task.
- Prototyping. The contractor creates a prototype of the future project, which reflects the future blocks and shows how they will interact in the web environment. It is important to choose a reliable and experienced contractor. Also at this stage, the necessary development technologies are determined.
- Design creation. Developers create a layout of the appearance to coordinate it with the customer following the functional prototype.
- Layout and development. Now the team starts to create the pages in the form in which they should be. There are two separate processes going on here: from the backend point of view, it is important to coordinate the execution of functions, and from the frontend point of view, the reaction of visual elements to user actions.
- Testing. Testers need to make sure that the web application fully copes with its functions.
- Documentation. On the basis of an already finished project, documentation is created that will be necessary for users in order to master all the functionality of the project as quickly as possible.
Success in achieving the set goals can be determined depending on how satisfied the customer is and to what extent he will receive the functions that he needed from the project initially.
Application development platforms open up completely different possibilities for this - it is important to choose the toolkit that will help you achieve your goal 100%. From an e-commerce point of view, web applications have several notable advantages:
- Security. Minimal access to server elements and databases. So, the least you can be afraid of hacking and other negative consequences.
- Access from different devices. Moden engines allow you to access a web application in parallel from different platforms, for example, from a computer or laptop on Windows, from mobile devices on Android and Apple.
- Lack of client software. No need to spend extra resources - space and memory for installing client software on the device.
- Scalability - a web application is able to cope with the required volume of tasks, depending on their number.
How and where to order high-quality web development?
Web applications are a tool with which you can achieve business, information, social goals with a minimum of effort and cost.
Using moden tools, Redmonkey experienced team can easily handle a project of any complexity.
You will be satisfied with the result and will be able to move on to the implementation of further goals that you set for yourself as part of the development of your project.
We develop responsive and functional web products using the latest software development technologies and are ready to find the best solution for your task.
We will be glad to see you among our clients!